Select a Scholarship
Location of Student
YFU Scholarship Information Sheet
At a Glance
December 1, 2015
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
Scholarship information listed here is not confirmed for 2016. This information is subject to change and will be updated with 2016 scholarship details are confirmed. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
- This is a full scholarship.
- One full summer scholarship for a student attending public or private high school or home-schooled in Boone, Campbell, or Kenton County, Kentucky.
- One full summer scholarship for a student attending public or private high school or home-schooled in Washtenaw County, Michigan, Maricopa County, Arizona or Gardena, California.
- Students applying for this program may not apply for other Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing Scholarships. Only US citizens may apply. Previous recipients are not eligible. Applicants to Japan must have a birth date that meet requirement specified on the country page.
- Applicant's birth date must fall between birthdates specified on the country specific page.
- $75 (non-refundable) Please make check payable to YFU.
Complete Application Includes:
- Complete Online Application
- 1 Educator Evaluation Form
- Host Family Letter
- 6 Responses to Short Answer Essay Questions
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- 5 Candid photos
- 8 Passport sized photos
- Round-trip international travel
- Round-trip domestic travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
- Three-day Japan specific orientation at the beginning of the program (if going to Japan)
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Personal spending money
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
2016 Japan scholarship winners will participate in a special mandatory orientation in California at University of California at Berkley. Toyota-TEMA recipients will depart for orientation on June 12th and will leave for Japan immediately after orientation on June 26th. Students will return from Japan on July 28th.
- All applicants will be notified of their status (via email) in April.
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
If applying for multiple scholarships, please indicate each scholarship's name and code on your application. All scholarship recipients are required to travel on the YFU group travel dates, and to complete the entire program. For more information regarding YFU and the scholarship selection process call 1-800-TEENAGE or refer to the Scholarships Overview section of this web site.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.