Select a Scholarship
Location of Student
Finland-US Senate Youth Exchange Program
YFU Scholarship Information Sheet
At a Glance
January 15, 2015
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
- This scholarship requires a $3000 student contribution towards the program tuition. The remainder of the tuition is covered by the scholarship.
- Open to high school students nationwide with sophomore or junior class standing at the time of application deadline. Students must hold a 3.2 grade point average or better on a 4.0 scale. Only US citizens may apply. No prior foreign language study is required.
- Applicant's birth date must fall between January 1, 1997 and December 31, 1999.
- $75 (non-refundable) Please make check payable to YFU.
Complete Application Includes:
- Complete Online Application
- 2 Educator Evaluation Forms
- Host Family Letter
- 6 Responses to Short Answer Essay Questions
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- 5 Candid photos
- 1 passport-style photo (headshot)
- 1 Country Specific Essay
Country-specific Topic Essay:
- Please submit an essay using the following as guidelines with your completed application. This is a mandatory requirement to qualify for this award. Please limit the length of your essay to approximately 500 words. Select one particular aspect of Finnish society, history, or culture that is of special interest to you. Collect information on this subject from any sources available to you, such as books, magazines, interviews, etc. Type an original essay which:
- Reflects what you have learned from your research
- Highlights your own views and ideas on the subject
- Indicates what you might do in Finland to enhance your knowledge in this area of interest
- Unique pre-departure FUSYE orientation in Washington, D.C. from June 10-12, 2015, including excursions to the US Senate, a visit to the Embassy of Finland, and a special reception at the Finnish Ambassador's residence (Directly before departure to Finland)
- Orientation in Turku, the ancient capital of Finland, including historical and cultural touring and activities
- At the end of your program, a farewell seminar and cultural tour in Helsinki to visit a number of government and historic sites. Possible sites include the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Ministry for Education and Parliament, Finnish international companies (like Marimekko or Iittala) and a visit to the sea fortress Suomenlinna (an important historical-cultural site in Finland)
- Round-trip international travel
- Round-trip domestic travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Personal spending money
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
- Tuition balance not covered by scholarship, due two weeks after award notification
- Optional trip to Tallinn, Estonia, organized by YFU Finland
- All applicants will be notified by mail of their status in May.
- THIS SCHOLARSHIP IS NOT FINALIZED AND IS SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION.
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
If applying for multiple scholarships, please indicate each scholarship's name and code on your application. All scholarship recipients are required to travel on the YFU group travel dates, and to complete the entire program. For more information regarding YFU and the scholarship selection process call 1-800-TEENAGE or refer to the Scholarships Overview section of this web site.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.