Select a Scholarship
Location of Student
YFU Scholarship Information Sheet
2014 Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange
Scholarship Code: 115
Application Postmark Deadline: January 15, 2014
- School Year (summer departure)
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
- This is a full scholarship.
- The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, is for motivated high school students who want to live with a host family and attend school for an academic year in Germany. No previous language experience is required. Students who have previously participated in a semester or year exchange in another country are not eligible for the Germany programs and scholarships.
- To be eligible, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Reside in one of the following states: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Nebraska.
- Be between the ages of 15 and 18 by the start of the program, and have a birthdate between April 1, 1996 and August 1, 1999.
- Application fee to be paid by the sponsor.
Complete Application Includes:
- 2 Educator Evaluations
- Host Family Letter
- 6 Responses to Short Answer Essay Questions
- Complete Online Application
- Host Family Letter
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- 5 Candid photos
- 8 Passport sized photos
- Round-trip international travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
- Medical insurance coverage – PLEASE NOTE: It is not recommended that selected students discontinue their current coverage while abroad.
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Round-trip domestic travel – PLEASE NOTE: the majority of programs offered by YFU cover domestic travel, but it is not covered in the Congress-Bundestag scholarship.
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Personal spending money
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
If applying for multiple scholarships, please indicate each scholarship's name and code on your application. All scholarship recipients are required to travel on the YFU group travel dates, and to complete the entire program. For more information regarding YFU and the scholarship selection process call 1-800-TEENAGE or refer to the Scholarships Overview section of this web site.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.