Share Your Home,
Change the World.
Who are YFU Exchange Students?
A YFU exchange is an educational experience that includes learning how to live in a new culture and community with a new family. Exchange students are members of your family and share responsibility for the daily chores of typical American teenagers. The school life of your YFU son or daughter is also an important part of this educational experience. Students attend high school and, whenever possible, study American government, U.S. history, and social studies as part of their academic course work. They are encouraged to participate in after-school activities and local volunteer opportunities.
Foundations, private corporations and foreign governments including the US recognize the value of high school exchange. They even offer scholarships to some of the world’s brightest teenagers to have this opportunity. They appreciate and recognize the significance of the volunteer families who host YFU students and make this enriching experience possible.
Exchange Students Up Close
- are between 15-18 years old
- are from one of more than 60 countries
- are here for an academic year arriving in August; semester students arrive in August or January
- have English language proficiency and received good grades
- are carefully selected through a rigorous application process
- participate in preparatory orientations before coming to the USA
- have their own spending money
- have their own medical insurance
- will become a member of your family and community
- receive ongoing support in the US from their local volunteer representative
"It didn't take long before she was not only a part of our family, but also the community. That was really exciting."
Ted Celeste (YFU USA Host Dad)