All you really need to host a YFU student is the ability and desire to share your home and open your heart to a new family member. Hosting is all about sharing your version of the American lifestyle with an exchange student.
As a host family, you will receive the YFU Host Family Handbook and other orientation materials. They outline policies and procedures and provide valuable information on what to expect and how to make your exchange experience successful. You will be invited to an orientation before your exchange student arrives and during your exchange you will be expected to attend 2-3 orientations. These typically occur on a weekend for a few hours each. At orientation, you will have the opportunity to talk with local volunteers, meet other host families and their students and develop strategies to ensure that every member of the family gets the most out of your exchange.
All host families must agree to:
- Attend YFU orientation events, read our preparation materials and maintain regular contact with your local volunteer
- Understand YFU policies and encourage your student to adhere to those policies
- Provide for an additional member of the family including a separate bed, suitable study area and three meals per day
- Help your student adapt to your family and to U.S. life and culture
- Familiarize your student with your hometown and promote participation in school and community events
- Offer an emotionally supportive environment
- Accept the student as a member of your family
We are very proud of the extraordinary support provided to every student and host family. You and your family can count on caring, quality support from YFU volunteers every step of the way.